Sparkling with water. Day 16.

Posted by B Merrick On Sunday, April 25, 2010 0 comments
Last night I surprised myself in a turn of healthiness and empowerment I can honestly say I have never known before.

I have mentioned the many diets I have been on and while I have primarily only spoken of the failures, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that they all start out well and with good intention. Only a few times have I found myself in "the zone", where I really think I can mind over matter myself and become a success. But without the right support system and the devil on my shoulder, I have always found it either too easy or too torturous to cheat. Either way, I often end up cheating.

But last night, I endured the ultimate: one of my closest friend's bachelorette party. Titled: Tiaras and Tequila, you can imagine the evening's structure. It was a bar crawl through West Hollywood, which means you go from bar to bar having a drink at each stop along the way.

I should take this opportunity to share that I do not have a problem with alcohol. I love a good cocktail. I think there's a sexiness having a good cocktail match the mood or the moment, but I also know its ugly side. I certainly don't have the relationship with it that I do say, fried zucchini. But when out on the town with a group of gals and a few token gays, you are hard pressed to find something better to suit the moment than alcohol (and a lot of it).

I was with them for four hours. I made it to 3 different bars. I drank several bottles of sparkling water. I had fun. The best part and the thing I have never known or felt before, was that I felt good about it. It wasn't a struggle (like it would have been in the past). There was no devil on my shoulder saying, "it's okay. It's just one glass of wine. You have done so well, you deserve it!" There were no moments where I felt I was missing out or I would be having more fun if I had had a drink.

Drinking the sparkling water didn't feel like a punishment, it felt like a positive choice and it made me actually feel good and happy.


I can honestly say I enjoyed myself and didn't miss out on a thing. THIS for me is a tremendous breakthrough.

Now I just have to get through the actual wedding next Saturday!

0 comments to Sparkling with water. Day 16.

Post a Comment