Day 31 - Inspired un-Honey Mustard Salad

Posted by B Merrick On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 0 comments
I never thought I would hear my self say these words, but I am actually enjoying the process of losing weight. We all love the concept of losing weight and we all love the part where our clothes fit and we like what we see in the mirror. But how often do you find yourself saying, "this is fun restricting my calories and depriving myself of that bag of chips"? I realize depriving may be a strong word, but that's what it feels like when in these situations because it is never fun dieting. If it was, we wouldn't be in this situation!

That being said, I am at 298 pounds. I am, for the first time in nearly four years, under 300 pounds. More importantly, I am 49 pounds lighter than I was a year ago and I am feeling it. What I am not feeling is crazy, deprived, starving, stressed out or mad at myself for having gotten so fat. This is huge, especially that last one. And I wouldn't be able to feel that if I weren't so suddenly confident that I am getting fully in control of my adult food and weight issues.

After a full month of being on the program (and a total loss of 39 pounds in said time), I wanted to share a new recipe that I tried today. It is still a little rough around the edges, so there is room for improvement, but it is definitely close!

Inspired by a Frisee salad I saw in a magazine, I created a mustard dressing inspired by one of my personal favorites, Honey Mustard. Since we obviously can't use honey, I used a dropper of stevia. It is NOT the same, but it definitely works for something new on the palette.

Dressing (in my Cooks 5-In-1 of course):

2 TBL Yellow Mustard
1 Garlic clove
1 dropper of Stevia (I used liquid, but I am sure you could use one packet dry)
Salt
Pepper
2 TBL water (optional depending on your love for mustard and spice)
1 dash cinnamon

I tossed the dressing over shredded lettuce (I am sure it would work great on shredded cabbage or another lettuce of your choice as well including fresh spinach). I then added one serving of egg white on top. Now let me share with you my trick that I finally came up with for cooking good egg whites in the absence of a shell or oil.


I take a small ramekin and place it on my scale and pour in exactly 100grams of egg whites (I found brands of egg whites at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods that have no fillers in them. Be sure and check the ingredients on the egg whites if you decide not to crack them yourself). Then in a small pot, I add about 3/4 of an inch of water (make sure it is well below the lip of your ramekin so that it doesn't boil into the ramekin once it gets cooking (another mistake learned)). I then put on the lid and leave them on the stove over a medium flame until the egg whites are cooked all the way through (it does take 10 to 15 minutes since you want to slow cook them, very different than frying an egg).


I am happy to say I have perfected them this way and they are a good protein that really sticks with you for the afternoon. And over the mustard salad... perfection! Let me know if you try it and if you make any changes!

0 comments to Day 31 - Inspired un-Honey Mustard Salad

Post a Comment