My new thought process on seasonal weight gain. Day 17

Posted by B Merrick On Monday, April 26, 2010 0 comments
Okay, I need you to be open minded with me on this one. This is not anything that has been taught or said to me. These are my own thoughts as I peel away my own layers and reconcile my new and old feelings on dieting and what I knew, what I thought I knew and what I am learning. This is all my opinion and I welcome yours in the comments section.

When God designed us and the magical vessels we reside in (heretofore referred to as our bodies), we lived in shelters, not Beverly Hills mansions or suburban culta sacs. We lived in caves or under branches and twigs (have you seen Survivor?). The springs were plentiful as flowers and fruits bloomed, animals gave birth to their young and we became predators of the land. We were athletic hunters that took what we needed to survive. By Summer we had gorged ourselves and begun packing on the pounds from our harvest. Slowing down for the inevitable chill that loomed in the autumn and winter months. By Winter, the land was barren, the animals, plants trees all in hibernation as the cold elements took over the land. And just like all of the other animals in the kingdom, we too hibernated. Slumbering our way through the cold months. But we didn't die. We didn't starve. Our bodies (the magic vessels that they are) found their energy in the abundance of our spring and winter. We stayed calm and didn't over exert or spend more than we had, but again, we survived.

In our modern world, we have reversed the organic schedule of life. We begin each January begin thinking of bikinis and summer. We make resolutions that always include the words "lose weight". Immediately, like a salmon swimming up stream, we find ourselves trying to lose weight from Spring through September, the very months our bodies are programmed to gain. Then comes winter. Our most decadent modern months. The months we are supposed to be still and living off of our fat storage. Instead, we are cozy and warm and begin consuming candy in October, gorging ourselves in November and their are few words to describe the endless onslaught of holiday treats, meals and jolly abundance.

Before you know it, we have packed on more than we should and right as we think it is time to start losing, our bodies find themselves in January ready to begin storing, right as we decide it is time to take it off.

It is a vicious cycle and one that we need to learn to be more aware of.

What do you think?

0 comments to My new thought process on seasonal weight gain. Day 17

Post a Comment